Auction Preview – 2021 May 3 Spring Fine Jewelry Auction Signature Auction – Dallas #5518
Scroll through the upcoming May 3rd Signature Fine Jewelry Auction for fabulous finds from Verdura, among other desirable designers.
Today we celebrate Fulco di Verdura’s Birthday!
One of the most recognized jewelry designers of the 1930s-1970s, Verdura was born as a duke in Palermo, Italy in 1899. As a young man, he went through his inheritance in no time, throwing lavish costume parties at his villa and enjoying life to its fullest.
In 1926 Verdura got his first job designing costume jewelry for Chanel. They soon became friends, and Verdura created a slightly mismatched pair of white enamel bracelets with Maltese crosses for Chanel’s personal collection. Verdura grew up in Sicily, not far from Malta – home base for the First Crusades. Chanel loved the bracelets and they became her signature pieces for casual and formal wear, helping Verdura to gain recognition from the aristocrats and celebrities in Chanel’s social circle. His childhood memories served as inspiration for the motifs he channeled into his designs throughout his entire jewelry career.
After Verdura moved to New York in 1934 and started to work independently, the list of his wealthy and influential clients grew to include Diana Vreeland, Cole Porter, Gary Cooper, Tyron Power, the Duchess of Windsor, among many others. The moment you see an orange Lion’s Paw shell covered in gems, you know that you are incredibly fortunate to meet a signature Verdura creation. He would purchase the shells from the AMNH gift shop, turning a few dollars investment into a few thousand-dollar masterpieces. Millicent Rogers purchased one in 1941, instantly making the piece iconic.
So today, don your favorite Verdura jewel, if you are lucky enough to own one, and feel the instant uplifting effect of undying beauty.
If your collection is lacking that special Verdura something, scroll through the upcoming May 3rd Signature Fine Jewelry auction to lay claim to your next acquisition.
Preview Verdura Estate Jewelry for Sale
Verdura Lady’s Diamond, Platinum, Gold Covered Dial Watch
A unique watch that can double as a bracelet! The dial is cleverly concealed by a decorative, diamond-studded cover. Circa 1960s!
Browse Verdura Jewelry Sold at Auction
How much is Verdura jewelry worth? See realized auction prices including buyer’s premium in our auction archives:
- Diamond, Multi-Stone, Cultured Pearl, Enamel, Gold Bracelet, | Lot #55018 | Heritage Auctions (ha.com)
- Moonstone, Diamond, Platinum, Gold Earrings, Verdura. … Estate | Lot #58118 | Heritage Auctions (ha.com)
- Diamond, Gold Necklace, Verdura. … Estate Jewelry Necklaces | Lot #55365 | Heritage Auctions (ha.com)
- Sapphire, Diamond, Platinum, Gold Brooch. … Estate Jewelry | Lot #58031 | Heritage Auctions (ha.com)
- Gold Bracelet, Verdura. … Estate Jewelry Bracelets | Lot #58039 | Heritage Auctions (ha.com)
- Verdura Citrine, Gold Earrings. … Estate Jewelry Earrings | Lot #64688 | Heritage Auctions (ha.com)
- Peridot, Black Onyx, Gold Earrings, Verdura . … Estate Jewelry | Lot #11111 | Heritage Auctions (ha.com)
- Aquamarine, Enamel, Gold Earrings, Verdura . … Estate Jewelry | Lot #55327 | Heritage Auctions (ha.com)
- Ruby, Nephrite Jade, Gold Earrings, Verdura. … Estate Jewelry | Lot #55189 | Heritage Auctions (ha.com)
Leave a Comment